Use quotes for faster searching. Example: "Arrow TV Show"

Saturday, October 28, 2017

SKK Chronos Era


Bought a new phone since my old phone was starting to have issues. Was looking for a comparable phone from SKK, near the price that I purchased over a year ago. The closest priced unit was the Chronos Era at 2799.

Here's the specs for the SKK Chronos Era based on the CPU-Z app from Google Play

Display: 4.59-inch 720 x 1280 pixels 320 dpi (same as what I had before)
Chipset: Mediatek MT6580 (same)
CPU: 1.3GHz Quad-core 4x ARM Cortex-A7 (same)
GPU: Mali-400 MP (same)
RAM: 960 MB (half of what I had before)
Storage: 5.24 GB internal storage
Memory: roughly 1 GB
Main camera: 8 MP (rear) (lower than what I had before)
Front camera: 5 MP
Connectivity: 3G/HSPA+, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
Freebies: Jelly case (instead of a Flip case)
Ports: microUSB
Android Version: 6.0

I think I'm beginning to have buyer's remorse because some of the specs are lower for roughly the same amount I shelled out last year.

In terms of performance, I was able to test out Clash Royale, Google Chrome and Instagram, and these are all working fine. Clash Royale was playing well without me having to adjust any settings.

I'm not a fan of the movable "button" on the screen for home, minimizing windows, and back. I think this was invented so that in case a part of the display no longer works properly, you can still move the button to a different part of the screen so that it can still function. But it is an eyesore when you open an app and I find that I have to move it to a different part to press a button on the app.

Also having a hard time adjusting again to a "physical" app management button. But this unit has that at the middle bottom part. Having to long press that to be able to cycle through all open apps, then swipe left to close the app seems more tedious than the swipe up - swipe left motion I got used to.

They tried to make the phone's interface look like an iPhone by using iPhone-like icons. You can look like an iPhone, but it would be better if you could perform like an iPhone.

Now, for some positives.

If you're a text to speech fan, it is now easier to get alternative voices. You no longer have to download additional apps on Google Play for additional voices on the phone. There's already an option under Settings > Language & Input > Language to select additional voices.

You now have an option to transfer files using the USB cable instead of charging the phone as the only option. In my previous phone, downloading File Manager to transfer files wirelessly was the only option.

I guess that's the end of my positive list. I'll try to come up with more as time progresses.

So, technology does not always advance with time. After a year, I was expecting better specs for the same price. But I feel like I got a downgrade for the same price. Maybe I didn't search well enough. I was actually considering the iRobot brand because their prices were below 2,000 pesos for roughly similar specs, but when I used their display, it seemed slower than what I was used to.

Maybe I should have gone for SKK's Hyperblade X, which was what the sales lady was aggressively pushing. But it cost 500 pesos more. I'd like tech to be better at the same price, or same at a lower price.

UPDATE: Was disappointed with this unit. I was getting all sorts of malware installed in it despite doing a factory reset and installing Kaspersky as my first app. It appears that the phone comes bundled with malware infested apps. Why would SKK even consider such a practice? One of the apps with built in malware was the HD Player. And once the malware has infected your phone, it is pretty difficult to remove it despite installing and updating antivirus or anti-malware apps.

1 comment:

  1. SKK Hyper X Core would not turn on today. Looks like life was about 1 year and 9 months.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts