Use quotes for faster searching. Example: "Arrow TV Show"

Monday, February 6, 2012

Boracay 2012 Kite Surfing


Perhaps one of the best tourist attractions I saw in Boracay was a shore filled with kite surfers. Since the waves in Boracay are not as strong as in Hawaii, surfers need to take advantage of the wind in order to generate fast surfing speeds. And with the right wind, the speeds they attain are comparable to a jet ski, and sometimes, if they are lucky or really really skilled, they can launch themselves around 6 feet up in the air, perhaps even more.

I was amazed at how the kite surfers were able to avoid bumping or tangling into one another, in what appeared to be a shore filled with surfing enthusiasts. I was able to speak with one of the kite surfing business owners and you actually have to have a license in order to rent kite surfing equipment. They also provided 3 level training lessons, from beginner, then intermediate, then expert. And the beginner lessons are supposed to teach the aspiring kite surfer the lessons on safety and surfing etiquette.

The lessons don't come cheap though. Beginner lesson's prices cost around 3,000 PHP (for 1.5 hours of training) while the Intermediate lessons cost around 14,000 PHP (for 7 hours of training). I didn't even bother asking how much the expert level lessons would cost. The equipment costs around 80,000 PHP but I was able to see some signs around the island stating they were selling used equipment for around 500 USD.

At the time of this writing, the surfing spots were at the Northeastern coast of Boracay, but I was also informed that they shift to the Southwestern shore then cycle back once a year.

If I could afford it and if I had more time, I would have loved to learn how to kite surf. Perhaps someday, if the Lord chooses to bless me, I would be able to do so. And if you already know how to, then you are blessed.

Comment Using Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts