Use quotes for faster searching. Example: "Arrow TV Show"

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Finishing Mass Effect 3


***Warning: Possible Spoilers***

After purchasing Mass Effect 3 about a month ago, I have finally been able to finish it. (No, I don't usually play games 24 hours straight so I'm not the type of player who will finish a 40 hour RPG in 2 days). I plan on going through it several more times to explore the alternative endings. And out of the PS3 games that I have played this year, ME3 has my nomination for Game of the Year.

While others might say that ME3 offers less than what ME2 had to offer, I say less is more. Less playable number of characters, true, but ask yourself this. Out of 10 options, and with only 2 slots in your party, you usually play either your favorite support characters or those you've built up in terms of level. In ME3, your choice of party members has been trimmed down to about 5. (6 if you make the right choices and 7 if you download from DLC, which is so uncool BTW and perhaps my only annoyance with this game. When I purchase a game, I expect to have everything in it). And still out of those 5 possible party members, you'll usually just play your favorite 2 or 3. Still wish there was a playable Geth or Ninja type character though.

I am pleased with the story and with the side quests. And even if some of the characters from ME2 are no longer playable, it is nice to know that they are still an integral part of this story. If ME3 is the last Mass Effect game, it is a fitting ending, tragic (since a lot of your characters die and the mass relay network is destroyed) but fitting.

While there are ways to avoid the deaths of major characters, I feel that if Shepherd were to die in the end, it is only right. All of them deserve to be remembered as heroes. It is also strange but kind of funny if Joker and Trainer were to be the Adam and Eve on that new planet they crashed into in the end. Wonder how EDI will mix with those two, and also weird since EDI was in my party during the final battle. (She should have died along with Shepherd and my other party member or I shouldn't have included her in the last mission for the story to make sense).

This game is way better than FF XIII - 2 in terms of replay value and even in terms of content. And a lot of the loose ends in ME2 and perhaps even ME1 (although I still haven't played ME1) are explained in this final chapter. (If there were to be an ME4, they should come up with a new set of characters).

So if you want a game set in a Star Trek / Star Wars type universe with great artwork and story line, pick up ME3. It is well worth it.

Comment Using Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts