Use quotes for faster searching. Example: "Arrow TV Show"

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Guitar Tab Creator


So there I was, watching Andy McKee's rendition of Tears for Fear's Everybody Wants to Rule the World and I was thinking, "wouldn't it be great if there was a way to record the tabs for this song". It's a great video by the way, and you can check it out below.


So back to the problem of being able to record or write down the tabs. I'm already in front of my PC, and I'm kinda feeling lazy and no longer want to pick up my paper and pencil to write down the tabs. After a few minutes of searching, I stumbled upon this free website for creating guitar tabs, http://www.guitartabcreator.com. You just need to register and once you have an account, you can login and start creating tabs.

I log in and start playing with the interface. Below is a screenshot of what its like.


First impression, this app is clunky and cumbersome. But hey, what would you expect, be grateful it is free. And with some patience, (maybe a lot of patience), you can get the job done.

Here's my attempt at creating a tutorial for using Guitar Tab Creator. 
  1. To start, click on New Tab.
  2. Title is self-explanatory.
  3. Start putting in chords. You will notice that if you click on the fret board, squares start popping up. You will need to click on the Record Chord button under Create Chords in order for your notes to line up. And when you are done, click on the Stop Recording button. This process is a pain and will take some practice before you get used to it. If you make mistakes, simply click on the Back button under Tab Controls. (But be careful pushing that Back button too much, it can ruin a lot of already finished work)
  4. Click on the Save button way below the screen when you are done. (I would recommend clicking on it after every chord input, which can be very tedious, but will safeguard your work from mistakes).
And that's about it. Again, you will expect a lot of bugs from something free.

One more thing, and I'm not sure if it is a browser issue, but if you look at that fret board above, it will be full of squares from all your input. I'm not sure exactly how to remove all those since it is annoying when you are trying to write down a new chord.

A workaround I've found is to change the first drop-down box under Scale Helper from none to any other setting, say C, then change it back to none. This will clear the fret board temporarily until you finish entering the new chord. Rinse and repeat for every new entry. Annoying, but like I said, this app is free. 

If you find a better alternative free online guitar tab site creator, (what a mouthful), then let me know. And to all guitar tab creators out there, I don't know how you do it, especially for 3 page long tabs, but much respect.



Comment Using Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts